Monday, June 6, 2011

Planting Community

There is a community garden near the house where I dogsit. I'd say there are about 15 to 18 plots in it. I saw it at the beginning of spring when all the gardeners were getting their plots ready and it was cool because each plot was at a different stage. Some were covered in weeds still, some were at various stages of being planted and, some even had some sprouts coming up. I went back today and it was cool to see the changes that had happened. These people all seem like pros, too. There were all different kinds of stakes and cages for tomatoes to grow on, one plot even had a little hoop house tunnel thing!

I really like the idea of a community garden (even though I personally have space for a "real" garden). I like garden-y things in general, and having an excuse to work outside is nice, but I think what is so attractive to me about a community garden is the communing part. Or at least the potential to commune.

What a cool way to meet people! And then, what a cool way to forge relationships! And especially in a place like this part of Maryland where community-building doesn't usually make it on to people's priority lists, let alone on their top-ten list.

These people share space and materials, they have at least one similar goal, and they have unique opportunities to work with one another and help each other out. And they can literally plant seeds of community in each other's lives.

I like the idea of community gardens.


Composition 101: Adjust your viewpoint to add a unique twist to a subject. Perspective, perspective, perspective!

1 comment:

Chillygator said...

You should read Seedfolks. It's a very short book about people who start a community garden. It's so touching! And a very quick read.