Monday, December 13, 2010

Don't drown in those Deep Thoughts.

I've noticed since I first felt called to go to South Korea that I have picked and chosen who to tell the "real" reason to when I was asked, "Why South Korea?" I would tell most of them that it was because it paid well, or that I thought it would be a good experience. I was reluctant to tell people the real reason...

I felt...embarrassed to tell them that it wasn't my idea. That God told me He wanted me to go. That no, I didn't know why or what for exactly.

I think I justified it by telling myself that they wouldn't understand. Well...I never really gave them a chance to understand, did I? And why does everyone need to understand? Isn't that the whole point? To share God and His love and purpose with those who don't know Him yet? I was too worried about what people would think of me. And THAT is what I should be embarrassed about.

On my way to PA a couple of weeks ago, a car in front of me had a bumper sticker that said "Own your faith." I was...taken by surprise. Such a simple concept that I had just been missing so completely.

"How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in?
And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard?..."
Romans 10:14

1 comment:

Kara Minor said...

It's funny, isn't it. How easy it is to hide in a protective shell rather than risk talking about Christ and be misunderstood.

I completely understand your point. I still don't think my parents understand why I didn't go straight into the mission field after college when they knew it was my desire....but God is God and He is in charge.

I'm proud of you for letting God be in charge and for trusting Him to send you where you should go. And even more I'm proud of you for realizing you want to tell people and going for it now :)