Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Limbo isn't a state, but Maine is.

"Limbo," as defined by Dictionary.com:

  • an intermediate, transitional, or midway state or place.
  • a place or state of imprisonment or confinement.

I think many of us are guilty of complaining about being in a situation/state of being/phase of life commonly referred to as "limbo." I know I am.

I've been out of school for almost two years now, I'm working at a part time job that I don't always like, I spend a ton of time sitting alone on my little couch in my poorly lit basement playing Farmville researching career options... And I find myself feeling disgruntled because it has got to get better than this. What ever "it" is.

I keep talking at God, "asking" Him to make it better, to help me move on the the next thing. To finally stinking transition already. I tell Him I'm tired of being in limbo and I want what's next. I want to move on. To move out of where I'm at, to move on with my life, to move on to what is next. (See a common theme here yet? No? Here:) I have been wanting to be done with what is happening right now, and start doing the next thing.

I've been thinking lately though. (Dangerous, I know. I promise I won't hurt myself.) In order to get to the next thing, it would make sense that I'd be moving on from something, right? I've always thought of limbo as...nothing. Doing nothing. Experiencing nothing. Nothing worthwhile anyway. But...if I'm going to God because I know He's going to give me what is next, doesn't that mean that He gave me what is now?

This, right now, what I've been experiencing (or I think in my case, missing) is part of my life. Part of the life that God created for me. He crafted these moments that I have been complaining about. How much could I have learned these past few months if I had only been paying attention?

Limbo is not a state of being. I officially refute those definitions! Limbo is a choice. Limbo is an awkward dance game often made more difficult by the use of roller skates and it is a game that I have never enjoyed in the past--and actually avoided--so why, why have I chosen to play this stupid game for so long???

How, though, do we switch from bending over backward in this stupid game just to move forward, to living the moments God has given us?

I don't actually know the answer to that question. Sorry. I don't really have an wisdom to pass on to all two of you who might read this. Believe me, if I did know the answer to that question, I would be even more popular than I already am. (Just kidding. I'm too awesome to be popular. Just kidding. I'm so popular there aren't any more people left to like me, so I can't even get more popular... Just kidding.)

I can tell you that I've decided to be proactive. I'm going to pursue every door that is presented to me, and I'm going to try to be better at listening to God instead of just talking to Him.

I'm also going to find worth in what I'm doing right now, at this stage of my life. I get to see my mom way more than I have in the past few years because I work with her. I get to help out with Overflow and be with camp kids and camp people even though it's not summer. I get to go to Pennsylvania to see my friends pretty much whenever I want. And I'm still figuring out the rest.

So anyway. The moral of the story: Don't play limbo, kids. It's super lame.

"This is why it is said:
'Wake up, sleeper,
rise from the dead,
and Christ will shine on you.'
Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord’s will is. Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit, speaking to one another with psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit. Sing and make music from your heart to the Lord, always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ."
Ephesians 5:14-20

"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God."
1 Corinthians 10:31

3 comments:

alishka babushka said...

this so perfectly describes how I have felt for a long time now. I most definitely will be sharing this with some cohesive thoughts (when I can think cohesively) about my life as of late. Thanks for writing beautiful words!

Kara Minor said...

How great is it though that you were willing to stay in a state you didn't enjoy or desire because you knew that you hadn't been given clearance to do something else. Sometimes God tells us to wait and we have no idea why and we want him to move and move quickly but He doesn't and so we sit and wait in "limbo." But at least we sit and wait instead of taking it into our own hands and doing what we want.

God is opening doors for you--two doors it seems--and he just hasn't told you to walk through either one yet. I don't know why (esp. since I know exactly which door I'd push you through ;)!) But God's plan is BEAUTIFUL for you and He is going to use you for his Glory and for His purpose and is going to give you a hope and a PURPOSE.

Those things...that plan...that purpose may not be what you expect all but I can GUARANTEE you it will be amazing. I'm learning that now and I am SO glad that I let God direct my path because even though where I am is challenging and a battle I can see how God is going to use it to teach me, to grow me, to glorify Him, and so much more. And maybe the next thing I do will be a little more of what I've dreamed of doing OR maybe it won't be BUT either way it's what God wants.

AND HE'S DOING THE SAME THING WITH YOU !!!

alishka babushka said...

so i mentioned you on my blog today. :o)

also, the way to get the note for the comment box is to go to the dashboard and then settings and then comments. there is a thing called "comment form message" and that's where the little note pops up. :o)

Have a happy day!