Sunday, February 25, 2007

A conversation with my roommate.

Me: If I have to read the f-word one more time, I'm going to punch something. Just because I hear it all the time doesn't mean I'm ok with reading it.

Roomie: You'd think she would have asked you if it offended you.

Me: Yeah, but she's not considerate. It's Kuehl. Even if I said something to her, she would just say something like, "Well, you're an adult now" and she'd be right, but still. I visibly flinch every time I read it. It's ruining this already awful play for me.

Roomie: It's a nasty word, I don't see why we just have to learn to live with it. I mean, sometimes I do use it, but I'm joking around, I would never use it in an argument.

Me: I'm really not a prude, I promise. I know I talk about things like this fairly often.

Roomie: No, I know. And most of what you say I agree with, so it's ok.

Me: It's just that since what happened with Lost*, I've just been making some personal choices. I learned that you have to be your own person. Really be your own person. Like, through and through.


I really liked that realization....I hope I remember it as I continue to struggle to move on.....

*Pseudonym.

3 comments:

Allie said...

K, you are so a genius. I love what you said: you have to be your own person, through and through. That is so wise, and so true. And it's hard! I realized that after my last breakup, when it hit me that I'd lost so much of my identity to this relationship, I didn't even know who I was. The self-construction process is so hard, at times. The hardest part is figuring out what you want, I think. Once you know exactly who you want to be, you can pursue it. But it's hard when you don't know. Ah, life.... anyway. I will definitely be getting that book next time I'm at Starbucks, which will probably not be for a while, but we'll see how things with this SID guy go--I think he'd like a copy too and he has a car. Although, you know what just happened with that one... hehhh

Dan M. said...

Yes, I do read the 100-hour board. I post under a slew of 'nyms. If they have krunk in them, or -oso at the end, of if they're parodies of someone who has posted a lot recently, it's generally me.

Possibly the coolest part of zoo school was getting to mix food for animals. There was an LDS intern who was good friends with my family, and so she took me to help make lion food for injured lions. It was amazing and gross.

Dan M. said...

Well, see that's part of the problem- I don't really settle on 'nyms, they just come to me and I use them. I think El Krunk might stay. Look for an upcoming question about wikipedia signed by four tildes.

(It's from me!)