Tuesday, February 27, 2007

I'm a big kid, now.

"You surprise me, [Kismet's real name]."
I'm sorry?
"No, in a good way."
I don't know what you mean.
"It's just you're...well, your political views and your...you just surprise me."

I surprise myself, lately. Specifically with the "adult conversations " I've been taking part in. Instigating, even. Tonight I was talking about [light] politics, relationships, music, and religion with my coworkers. Intelligently, and somewhat passionately. I sounded like I knew what I was talking about, and I did. Even though I have little to no experience or knowledge on the subjects. Or so I thought.

These conversations satisfy me in a way I never predicted. Like that one at that place mom took Lost and me to. I was talking to a friend of my aunt, and...that conversations was the best conversation I've ever had in my life. Of that kind anyway. It was the first time I physically saw the difference between Lost and me. I wrote a letter about it. (The difference I saw, not the conversation.)

Anyway, increasingly often, I have these moments when I think to myself, "I'm an adult, now." It is interesting to ponder.

I suppose all children feel that they'll , never grow up, but I think I just thought I would never grow up all the way. See, for the longest time, I been doing "juvenile" things thinking, "Oh, I'll grow out of this someday," and then, "I'll have to grow out of this someday," then finally, "I never grew out of this. I'm going to be a pretty interesting adult." These things included going up the stairs of my house on all fours (I don't actually do this so much anymore), sitting on the floor, bursting out into random song, saying extremely random things out loud to no one in particular (No, really. Sometimes they're not even words.), and sleeping with a "special blanket" (now I have two). Turns out I was right about being an interesting adult. But you know what? Whatever, I'll sit on the ground if I want, and I like my blankets. So there. I'm a big kid now, and no one can stop me! Just kidding. What I meant to say was: Does anyone ever really grow up? I mean, some people lose touch with their "inner child", and well, I don't want to be that person. Ever.

Ok, well, this post is long enough. I just wanted to share.

5 comments:

Dan M. said...

Hahaha, wow. You and I have a lot in common from what I can tell, at least from reading this post.

I'm looking forward to reading the one that you helped with. That's exciting. I think after my mission (less than a year to go now! This October I put in my papers!) I'm going to try and be a board writer. Hopefully they'll be in a dry spell so my joining the board will seem even more glorious than it will be.

Dan M. said...

Hahaha, what does this say about me, I went and looked for the requirements. I didn't see anything about having to be a student current or former, but I imagine it would help a lot.

I know the old way of applying, and I can probably figure out the new way fairly quickly if I just put in the time, but since I will be going on a mission I'm just not that dedicated to an attempt to join.

Dan M. said...

Well, if you're as much like me as I think you could be, you're worried about looking stupid but you know that it's a risk worth taking. Or you could just ask Lexi. I'm sure she'd inquire at the next board writers meeting.

But I can understand why you wouldn't want to try.

Dan M. said...

I most indeedly do.

Look up dan meehan at BYU.

Rach said...

On topic: I totally feel the same way!
Off topic: I'm curious as to how you know Lexi Khan.